Today we are going to learn the following topics:
- What Chaos Engineering is, what chaos experiments are, and how running experiments helps your modernization strategy.
- What Gremlin is, and the benefits of using Gremlin.
- How to use Chaos Engineering to improve your DevOps practice, including tuning monitoring and alerting, setting SLAs and SLOs, and meeting the reliability and operational excellence recommendations of the Well-Architected Framework (WAF).
- How to communicate the value of Gremlin and Chaos Engineering to your boss, your teammates, and to others in your organization.
This workshop is broken into the sections list below. Estimated time for completing the workshop is 1.5-2.5 hours.
- Prerequisites (5 minutes) Provision a Cloud9 instance and validate
- Setup (20 minutes) Install necessary tooling to complete the lab
- Experiment 1 (25 minutes) Run a CPU experiment, observe the impact, and implement fixes
- Experiment 2 (15 minutes) Run a blackhole experiment and make observations
- Automate Experiments (25 minutes) Learn how to use the Gremlin REST API, SDK, and Status Checks